FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 29, 2020
VoteSafe Michigan Launches Bipartisan Coalition to Expand Safe Voting Options Across State
Former U.S. Rep. Joe Schwarz, Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson to lead effort
MICHIGAN – Today, VoteSafe Michigan launched its campaign to ensure that all Michigan voters have safe voting options in the August and November elections. The bipartisan coalition is led by former Republican Congressman and physician Joe Schwarz and Democratic Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson.
“Many expect a historic turnout in the coming elections and amid a pandemic, Michigan residents shouldn’t be forced to jeopardize their health to vote,” said Schwarz. “Whether people are elderly, at greater risk to COVID-19, or are simply fearful of being sick, they should be able to exercise their right to vote with the peace of mind that the voting process is safe and won’t pose a health risk.”
VoteSafe Michigan is made up of voting experts, elected officials, health care professionals, and community leaders advocating for accessible, secure mail-in ballots and safe, in-person voting sites amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
The coalition is also committed to raising awareness among residents of all their voting options allowed under the Michigan constitution. In 2018, voters overwhelmingly passed Proposal 3 which expanded voting options in Michigan to include automatic voter registration, same-day voter registration and no-excuse absentee voting.
“This is a time of great uncertainty in many ways, but voters should have confidence in the knowledge that voting from home is a safe, secure way to ensure their voice will be heard in this year’s elections,” said Benson. “No matter the public health scenario in November, voters will have a right to vote by mail as a trusted, safe and secure option to participate in our elections.”
The VoteSafe Michigan coalition initially includes:
- Clerk Lisa Brown, Oakland County
- Clerk Barb Byrum, Ingham County
- Clerk Mary Clark, Delta Township – Legislative Chair for the MI Association of Municipal Clerks
- Clerk Michael Hanley, Saginaw County
- Clerk Minde Lux, Isabella County
- Clerk Benjamin Marantette, Traverse City
- Clerk Justin Roebuck, Ottawa County
- Clerk Chris Swope, City of Lansing
- American Federation of Teachers Michigan
- League of Women Voters Michigan
- NAACP Detroit Branch
- United Way For Southeastern Michigan
- Voters Not Politicians
- Butch Hollowell, General Counsel – NAACP, Detroit Elections Committee Member, Michigan Secretary of State Nominee 2002
- Peter Spadafore, President, Lansing City Council
- David Worthams, Past-President, JCI Michigan and Michigan Junior Chamber
The national VoteSafe coalition of Democratic and Republican elections administrators and organizations nationwide is co-chaired by former Secretary of Homeland Security and Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge (R) and former Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm (D).
About VoteSafe Michigan
VoteSafe Michigan is a bipartisan coalition of voting experts, elected officials, health care professionals, and community leaders who support accessible, secure mail-in ballots and safe, in-person voting sites. VoteSafe Michigan is part of VoteSafe US, a national cross-partisan coalition of elections administrators and organizations that endorse the simple principle that every American has the right to vote safely amidst the pandemic. For more information, go to mi.votesafe.us.
Press Contact: Matt Friedman 248.762.1430 email@example.com